By Michele A.
Anton Mueller is a German archaeologist. He's also a SS-Obersturmführer in the Ahnenerbe-SS, the branch of the SS that deals with the occult, the lost knowledge of the Aryans, and anything supernatural that might serve to boost the power of the Nazi regime. Mueller fervently believes that there is a nugget of real power hidden in all the claptrap, and that he might be the one finding it.
He might be right; on his Earth, supernatural things exist, even though they are usually kept secret. And he has his own small share of that: unbeknown to him, he is a dormant psi. Sooner or later he might discover that the lucky coincidences and hunches and sixth sense are way more than that.
A full professor at the University of Berlin and a published author, Mueller has actually spent more time in the field over the past decade or so, with several expeditions to Northern India. He joined the Nazi party in 1931, and quickly got involved with the occultists within it; Himmler in person offered him a position with the Ahnenerbe in 1934.
On behalf of this Nazi agency, Mueller dabbled with several diverse interests, not really related with archaeology. But he dreams of unearthing something significant and powerful. The Ahnenerbe had a fixation for Tibet as the supposed ancestral cradle of the superior Aryan race, so Mueller keeps returning there, on expeditions officially funded by German scientific societies - but actually by the SS.
Mueller is a difficult man to work with, or for; he's famously short-tempered. But while he will have no qualms if it comes to what he really longs for, he'd be willing to negotiate and to come to terms with PCs if they are not really competing for the same thing.
He is prematurely balding, with a pale complexion, very light blue eyes that are somewhat unsettling even behind his glasses. Height: 5'10", weight: 160 lbs., age: 38.
Anton Mueller, Nazi Archaeologist and Dormant ESPer - 175 points
ST 11 ; DX 11 ; IQ 13 ; HT 10 ;
Damage 1d-1 Thr/1d+1 Sw; BL 24 lbs.; HP 11 ; Will 13 ; Per 13 ; FP 10 .
Basic Speed 5.25 ; Basic Move 5 ; Dodge 9.
TL: 6 .
CF: 20th C. Western; South Asian .
Languages: German (Native); English, Tibetan (Accented); Urdu (Broken); Sanskrit (Written/Literate) .
Administrative Rank 3 ; Charisma 1 ; Common Sense (ESP, -10%) ; Danger Sense (ESP, -10%) ; Enhanced Dodge (ESP, -10%) ; Reputation +2 (Famous archaeologist; 10 or less; Large class) ; Sensitive (ESP, -10%) ; Status 2 ; Tenure (Professor) ; Wealth (Comfortable .
Perks: Autotrance .
Status includes +1 from Administrative Rank 3.
Bad Sight (Nearsighted; Glasses -60%) [-10]; Bad Temper (9 or less) [-15]; Duty (Anhenerbe-SS; 12 or less; Extremely Hazardous) [-15]; Fanaticism (Nazism) [-15]; Obsession (Using hidden knowledge to promote Nazism; Long-Term Goal) [-10].
Quirks: Chauvinistic; Genuinely Loves Tibet; Habit (snapping fingers); Hates traveling by sea; Uncongenial [-5].
Acting (A) IQ+0 -13; Administration (A) IQ-1 -12; Anthropology (Human) (H) IQ-1 -12; Archaeology (H) IQ+2 -15; Architecture/TL2 (A) IQ-1 -12; Broadsword (A) DX-1 -10; Climbing (A) DX+0 -11; Current Affairs/TL6 (Science & Technology) (E) IQ+0 -13; Detect Lies (H) Per-1 -12; Diplomacy (H) IQ-1 -12; Dreaming (H) Will-2 -11; Expert Skill (Thanatology) (H) IQ-2 -11; Fortune Telling (Palmistry) (A) IQ+1 -14; Guns/TL6 (Pistol) (E) DX+1 -12; Hidden Lore (Rune Lore) (A) IQ-1 -12; Hidden Lore (Spirit Lore) (A) IQ+0 -13; Hiking (A) HT-1 -9; History (Ancient India) (H) IQ-1 -12; History (Germanic peoples) (H) IQ-2 -11; Hypnotism (Human) (H) IQ+0 -11; Judo (H) DX+0 -11; Leadership (A) IQ+0 -13; Meditation (H) Will-2 -11; Navigation/TL6 (Land) (A) IQ-1 -12; Occultism (A) IQ+1 -14; Philosophy (National Socialism) (H) IQ-2 -11; Psychology (Human) (H) IQ-2 -11; Public Speaking (A) IQ+0 -13; Research/TL6 (A) IQ-1 -12; Survival (Mountains) (A) Per-1 -12.
Detect Lies and Fortune Telling (Palmistry) include +1 from Sensitive.
Fortune Telling (Palmistry), Leadership, and Public Speaking include +1 from Charisma 1.
- Mauser C96 7.63x25mm Mauser
- 7.63x25mm Mauser (2 reloads)
- Heavy Walking Stick (Light Club)
- Small Knife (Fine Quality)
- Winter Clothing
- Leather Cap
- Leather Gloves
- Personal Basics
- Camera, 35mm, with film
- First Aid Kit
- Writing Kit
Mauser C96 7.63x25mm Mauser (12): 3d-1 pi-
Heavy Walking Stick (10): 1d+2 cr, 1d cr
Small Knife (Fine) (7): 1d-1 cut Reach C,1; 1d-1 imp Reach C
Punch (11): 1d-2 cr, Reach C
Kick (9): 1d cr, Reach C,1
- The obvious us of Mueller is as a competitor to the PCs. He's out in the field, in Tibet or Nepal or Northern India, with the equipment above, maybe a few sidekicks and followers, and local manpower; and he's looking for the same thing the PCs want. This is a no-holds-barred situation for him.
- With minimal modifications as to languages and skills, Mueller can be moved to other interesting archaeological areas: Egypt, Persia, Anatolia or Central America. Anywhere he might be needed to hinder the heroes.
- In a psionic campaign, Mueller might not be working on an archaeological quest. He might suspect psionic powers exist, he might be learning how to use his own, and he'd be looking for intelligence about psionics. That would be on behalf of the Ahnenerbe, of course, with a view to harnessing psi powers and recruiting psis to serve the Third Reich.
- In any prewar GURPS Cliffhangers campaign, Mueller might be used as a random encounter, just crossing paths with the PCs during a social event. He can then be used to showcase how dangerous Nazism will eventually be; he might not be the direct adversary of the heroes, but it might later turn out he was helping that adversary, passing or receiving intelligence from him, and so on.
- In a wartime campaign, the ideal location where to encounter Mueller would be a neutral nation, where he and the heroes cannot cross swords - at least not overtly.