She's a mousey-looking girl in her early 20s, with reddish-brown hair and coke-bottle glasses. A bookish type, you think; although that perception may be clouded by the fact you see her working in a book store and looking over a book of arcane lore. Beside her, a Siamese cat lies on the countertop and eyes you with a suspicious glare. She asks if she can help you, but as she rises from her stool, she accidentally knocks over the coffee mug at her elbow, (the one that reads "Life's a Witch"). In trying to save the mug, she drops the book and it narrowly misses your foot and coffee spatters on your shirt. "I'm so sorry!" she pleads.
Mimsey Grant was an ordinary girl working at the Friendlee Mart with an amateur interest in the occult, an interesting college degree in anthropology but no good job prospects until she received a peculiar inheritance from a grandfather whom the family never talked much about: A little bookstore nestled in the heart of Milwaukee and the bequest of a comfortable independent income — provided she maintain the shop and not sell it.
Her grandfather, she discovered, was a wizard; and his bookshop contained his collection of magic books and artifacts. What's more, she learned that her grandfather wasn't actually dead. He had been transmorgified into a cat, the circumstances of which he refuses to talk about. And so, Grandfather is now trying to teach her magic, so that she can better steward his stuff; and perhaps for his own hidden purposes as well.
Mimsey Grant - 162 points
ST 9 [-10]; DX 11 ; IQ 12 ; HT 10 [.0];
Damage 1d-2 thr/1d-1 sw; BL 16 lbs.; HP 9 ; Will 11 [-5]; Per 12 ; FP 10 .
Basic Speed 5.25 ; Basic Move 5 ; Dodge 8.
TL: 8 .
CF: Contemporary United States .
Languages: English (native); Greek (acc.) 
Ally: Grandfather [0/10]; Animal Empathy ; Appearance: Pitiable ; Independent Income 10 ; Intuition ; Magery 1 ; Serendipity 1 ; Telekinesis 5 (uncontrollable); Wealth: Comfortable ;
- Point cost of Ally depends on whether Mimsey is an NPC (in which case Allies cost nothing) or a PC. Also, since I haven't actually statted up Grandfather yet, he might be better modeled as a Patron.
- Technically she should be Wealthy, but all her wealth is tied up in the Shop, which she can't sell.
- Intuition and Telekinesis are how her latent Magery manifested itself before her magic training. Although she now has control of her TK via the Apportation spell (below), she will still accidentally activate it in moments of stress or distraction.
Absent-Minded [-15]; Bad Sight (mitgator: glasses) [-10]; Duty: Maintain Grandfather's Shop [-5]; Fearfulness 2 [-4]; Honesty [-5], Klutz: Total Klutz [-15]; Low Self Image [-10]
Quirks: Animal Lover; Low Alcohol Tolerance; Drives a '74 avocado green Gremlin; Secret: Indulges in Kinky Romantic Fantasies; Delusion: Thinks she can Make Grandfather's Shop Profitable; [-5]
Accounting (H) IQ -12; Anthropology (H) IQ -12; Area Knowledge: Milwaukee (E) IQ -12; Computer Operations (E) IQ -12; Cooking (A) IQ -12; Driving (manual transmission auto) (A) DX -11; First Aid (E) IQ -12; Fortune Telling: Tarot (A) IQ -12; History: Ancient Egypt (H) IQ+1 -13; History: Ancient Greece (H) IQ+1 -13; Judo (H) DX -11; Literature (H) IQ -12; Meditation (H) Will-1 -10; Musical Instrument: Clarinet (H) IQ-2 -10; Philosophy: Greek (H) IQ-1 -11; Research (A) IQ+1 -13; Occultism (A) IQ+1 -13; Veterinarian (H) IQ-2 -10
Techniques: Winter Driving (A) Def+2 -11
Note: The Winter Driving technique is based off of Driving and defaults to Driving-2. It represents practice in negotiating snow and ice covered streets and driving safely when visibility from blowing snow is bad. If Mimsey is being used in a campaign set in San Diego, obviously this technique would not apply
Apportation (H) IQ -12; Aura (H) IQ -12; Clean (H) IQ-1 -11; Continual Light (H) IQ-1 -11; Detect Magic (H) IQ -12; Identify Spell (H) IQ -12; Light (H) IQ -12; Rope of Bondage (H) IQ-1 -11; Sense Emotions (H) IQ -12; Sense Foes (H) IQ -12; Truthsayer (H) IQ-1 -11
Note: The Rope of Bondage spell is a practical application of Apportation which Mimsey worked out by herself. It is essentially the reverse of the Undo spell. If you ask her why she wanted to magically tie people up, she will blush and change the subject.
All spells include +1 from Magery
Mimsey is intended to be an NPC Buddy character in a Modern-Day magic-based campaign. She has a few useful skills and knows some magic, but her Low Self Image and timidity will keep her in a support role, and her klutziness will ensure that the PC's will want to keep her out of the action.
That said, she should be easy to upgrade into a PC by ditching a few disads, (swapping Fearful for Mild Shyness, for example) and adding a few more adventure-relevant skills and spells to her repertoire. And if she were a PC I would definitely give her Weirdness Magnet.
Although the write-up says she's from Milwaukee, you may obviously change this to whatever city your campaign is based in.
- Mimsey can make a possible "Best Friend" character. Or a romantic interest.
- Or possibly a "Person I Used to Know in College Whom I Hoped to Never See Again".
- Set one of your PCs up on a blind date with her. And then have the demons/rival magicians/evil cultists show up…
- Grandfather's Bookshop could be a rich source of MacGuffins: Ancient tomes, cursed artifacts, etc.
- Then there's the mystery of how Grandfather got changed into a cat. What secrets is he hiding from Mimsey? Do the PCs want to investigate?
- The Bookshop could also be a good base of operations for a supernatural/monster-hunters campaign.